Uncontrolled asthma occur when you have persistent symptoms of cough, wheeze, shortness of breath and chest tightness with frequent usage of medication for immediate relief or visit to clinic/ emergency department for nebulizer.
Reasons for asthma become uncontrolled:
- Ongoing exposure to an allergen (like grass, tress, pollen, etc.) or irritants in the air (such as smoke or strong smells)
- Other known triggers are:
- Extreme humidity and cold weather
- Illnesses such as flu
- Medications such as aspirin or acetaminophen
- Being under stressed conditions
- Furry animals
- Unchanged beddings and furnishings
*Only the patient will know what the irritants/allergens/triggers are, for example ingestion of pickled food can induce an attack, thus it is important to recognize and avoid exposure to the known factors
- Not using medication as prescribed by doctor
- Poor inhaler technique
- Exercise may induce an asthma attack
- Complicating conditions that coexist with asthma such as gastro esophageal reflux and obesity.
- Wrong diagnosis of asthma
Complications that may arise if asthma is not controled:
- Children shall miss school due to difficulty in breathing
- Similarly, adults may be absent from work
- Patients who have exercise induced asthma may not want to be involved in sporting activities and / socialize
- Recurrent infection in the lung
- A part of the lung did not expand fully leading to chronic lung scarring.
- Patient may develop a condition called respiratory failure that requires you to breathe through mechanical ventilator machine.
- All the above results in poor quality of life
Image of infection in the lung
Source: Copyright from topnews.in
Image of collapsed lung
Source: Copyright from www.nlm.nih.gov
Refer to asthma medication
- Identify and avoid the environment factors that makes your symptoms uncontrolled
- Lead a healthy life style.
- Use your medication as prescribed
- Seek advice from your doctor if symptoms persists with medication.
|23 May 2016
|Dr. Kasuma bt. Mohd Nordin
|Dr. Norhaya bt. Mohd Razali